Plumbing in a dishwasher
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Zoe
Labourer
Labourer

Plumbing in a dishwasher

by Zoe » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:29 pm

I want to plumb in a dishwasher, and already have a washing machine, connected using self-cutting taps to the hot and cold.

Can I use another self-cutting tap to the cold, or should I be changing the current cold water tap to a double tap? If I do need to change the tap, how would I do this?

Is there something I can buy to turn the currently fitted cold tap to a double tap, without replacing it?

Any help gratefully received!

Ramsgate
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Ramsgate » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi

The problem with self cutting taps is they make a tiny hole about 3 or 4 mm to get the water through, so you end up with slower filling machines.

This being said, they do work and offer a simple solution to fitting an appliance, if you have room you can fit a "Y Piece" ( see pic below) this will give you 2 outlets, but make sure you have enough room and it's in a place where it won't get knocked, at these are so easy to break and you end up with a wet floor. You might find it takes ages to fill if you have your WM and Dishwasher on at the same time though.

There is nothing to stop you using another self cutting tap, But if you have room go for the option above.

Have you also considered the waste ??

johnb
Ganger
Ganger

by johnb » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:52 pm

hi zoe use another tap connector the hole in these is so small machines struggle to get enough water all the best john

Zoe
Labourer
Labourer

by Zoe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:09 pm

Thanks for the tips. I've bought one of those screw in wastepipes, which has an end for a washing machine and a dishwasher (currently I just hook the waste pipe from the washing machine over the sink).

However, I've not clear how the various pipes fasten to it, I though it would be obvious, but now I've looked at it, it's not. I'm starting to wonder if I should stick to doing the dishes by hand!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 1:29 am