cracks to rendering
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
klb
Apprentice
Apprentice

cracks to rendering

by klb » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:28 pm

We live in a 150 year old brick cottage which as been rendered. Just over 9 months ago we sold a plot of land to the rear and the owners started to build a house, timber framed and brick skinned.
Over the period of construction there has been upwards of 40-50 lorries, heavy cranes, cement mixers, delivery vehicles etc. which have passed up the drive (owned by us) within 2-3 feet of our buildings.
Consequently a number of cracks have appeared in the render around the gable end and lean-to sections which stand adjacent to the driveway.
We had a clause placed in the sale document for any damage caused to be repaired.
I must add that the driveway has sunk by as much as 5inches with the weight of traffic. This is to be relaid.
The owner of the new-build never made any assessment of the make-up of the driveway or surrounding areas near to the cottage to minimise and reduce any impact that his works would have on our building.
The render was painted two years ago and there was little or no sign of any problems/cracks.
My view is that the premature failure of the render has been caused by heavy traffic using the driveway which was never intended to be used for that purpose. We did ask that small delivery vehicles be used but this request fell on deaf ears.
I wonder what others think about this problem?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: cracks to rendering

by welsh brickie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:45 am

ask for a meeting with your neighbour and tell them that you are contacted a structural engineer to assess the damage and will provide a report on the repairs needed.
Based on his detailed report, they will by law be required to repair the damage caused due to the traffic.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:50 am