Fixing basin to strawboard wall??
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
seanxb
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing basin to strawboard wall??

by seanxb » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Could anyone advise please?

Having decided to relocate basin in bathroom, I have now just found that my walls are made of strawboard, apparently known in the trade as 'donkey's breakfast'!

Anyhow, I'm not too sure how sturdy these things are and I need to hang a semi-ped basin.

Any advice about what fixings to use or any particular methods would be most appreciated.

Have thought about trying to dig out an area of 10-15mm and lining it with some ply. Unfortunately, there are no studs in the wall to fix to.

Note: This wall backs onto another bedroom so as a last resort, I could sink a bit of ply on the otherwise but that would ruin a perfectly fine wallpapered wall!!!!

Thank you,
Sean

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fixing basin to strawboard wall??

by welsh brickie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:29 am

I think for safety where you normally attach it with standard fixings I would drill through the wall insert 8mm metal threaded rods and a large washer buried in the wall in the bedroom side,so it cant pull through,then use clear silicone on the back of the basin aswell to stick it to the wall.Damage it kept to a minimum in the bedroom.

seanxb
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Fixing basin to strawboard wall??

by seanxb » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Great minds think alike, I've done exactly as you have suggested except I've put thin metal plate on the wall in the bedroom.

I've bolted the plate at the corners through the wall with another 2 bolts through for the sink to mount onto. A little unsightly but it only protrudes 1-2mm and I'll get the bedroom wall skimmed to cover it up!
Cheers,
Sean.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:54 pm