Shower pump
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Freddy42
Apprentice
Apprentice

Shower pump

by Freddy42 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:56 pm

I have a Quartz digital shower, the pump for which is located in the loft space directly above.

If this were replaced with a conventional pump and thermostatic mixer shower, would it be OK to simply use the present location for the pump as obviously the pipework is already there. The reason I ask is that pump installation instructions I have googled show the pump located on the floor adjacent to the hot water cylinder.

The instructions also insist that a Surrey valve is essential although the current installation seems to be fine without one.

I would welcome your comments.

Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Shower pump

by plumbbob » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:28 am

A Surrey flange is often not necessary in a majority of installations. Manufacturers include it in their instructions as a precaution to remove any liability they may have if a shower didn't work. If it works now, then leave it as it is.

The preferred position for the pump is in an airing cupboard next to the tank. There are several reasons for this. If placed low down in the system , the pump generally will be more reliable and less likely to suffer from problems such as freezing, airlocks etc. A loft mounted position can be suitable and there are many pumps beavering away up there without any problems at all. The answer is the same as with the flange. If it works now, then don't change it.

Freddy42
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Shower pump

by Freddy42 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks for the advice plumbbob.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:52 pm