Fixing a DVD Rack To The Wall Horizontally
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nikki_27
Labourer
Labourer

Fixing a DVD Rack To The Wall Horizontally

by nikki_27 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Ok totally girly question I know, but I have a couple of 6ft tall, DVD/book racks (Ikea's Billy Book Cases) that I need to fix to a wall horizontally, they need to be very secure as a I have a lot of books etc to put on them.

I would like some tips on the best way to do this, in the simplest terms possible please! :)

Thaks very much,

Struggling girl!

(Nikki)

keeflester
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Fixing a DVD Rack To The Wall Horizontally

by keeflester » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:16 pm

Need a bit more information. What kind of wall is it? Solid or drywall?
Mirror plates are useful in this type of situation, fix three or four along the top edge of the back of the unit, making sure that you are fixing into the carcase, then fix into the wall.
If it's drywall see if you can find the studs and fix into these, if its a solid wall drill and plug. Your DIY store will help you find the right fixings if you explain the situation.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi nikki
I'm not going to be a lot of help here as I can see a problem. I don't know the construction of the unit, but I suspect the joints may not be able to withstand being used in this way. It may be a case of the unit having to be strengthened in some way. Also the back is no doubt of quite a thin material, and would not support that load.
One sure way might be to support the unit on shelf brackets in just the same way as a normal shelf.
Sorry, but I'm being careful, and I know how these things are generally put together.

nikki_27
Labourer
Labourer

by nikki_27 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks guys, yes probably not the best quality case, so I think I wont load as much as I first thought and supporting with brackets also sounds like a good idea!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:47 pm