Party Wall Damp Issue What Could be the Cause?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BitOfANovice
Labourer
Labourer

Party Wall Damp Issue What Could be the Cause?

by BitOfANovice » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:47 am

My neighbour a few doors away has a problem with damp. Front bedroom of a victorian terrace on 1st floor. The damp is half way up the party wall and only marginally affecting the corner where the external wall meets it. The damp isn't at the bottom or top of the wall. He is not on speaking terms with the neighbour so does not know if there is a sink or bathroom etc on the otherside of the 9 inch brick and plastered wall. Will try to upload a photo of the damp/bubbling when I get one - I appreciate it difficult to gauge what is wrong but does anyone have any theories please ?
Many thanks in advance.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Party Wall Damp Issue What Could be the Cause?

by proptech » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi BitOfANovice

We really need to know what's the other side of that wall, it does seem a bit suspicious. There's not a chimney breast anywhere near is there ?

BitOfANovice
Labourer
Labourer

by BitOfANovice » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:26 am

Hope this picture is visible of the aforementioned damp/bubbling etc - front external wall on left and party wall to the right - there is a chimney breast to the right of this picture out of shot and the area next to it is not affected (yet!).
All suggestions gratefully received.
Attachments
Damp Wall No 38 (448x600) (373x500).jpg

Tracyl
Labourer
Labourer

by Tracyl » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi my daughter just had a damp survey round from the company that is selling her home and the have quoted 1,600 to carry out a damp proofing so she said said she would get a family friend who is a excellent builder with 15 years background to be told she couldn't have him if he couldn't provide a certificate at the end. So she rang him and asked him if he could to which he said no he doesn't do the certificate but we all know he is totally the right man to do the job at friend rate saving my daughter money so ! My question is have you got to have someone who will proved a certificate to do the job (is this building law ) and will it interfere with the sale of the house if she doesn't get a certificate

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:34 pm

OK, so that patch is really so near the outside wall that I'd be looking to make sure all is well outside. That would include the roof, guttering, pointing etc.
Take a look during rain for any signs, also check the loft.
Condensation can't be ruled out, but I'd check the obvious first.

Tracyl
Labourer
Labourer

by Tracyl » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Tracyl wrote:Hi my daughter just had a damp survey round from the company that is selling her home and the have quoted 1,600 to carry out a damp proofing so she said said she would get a family friend who is a excellent builder with 15 years background to be told she couldn't have him if he couldn't provide a certificate at the end. So she rang him and asked him if he could to which he said no he doesn't do the certificate but we all know he is totally the right man to do the job at friend rate saving my daughter money so ! My question is have you got to have someone who will proved a certificate to do the job (is this building law ) and will it interfere with the sale of the house if she doesn't get a certificate

ChrisRichmond
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ChrisRichmond » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:54 pm

If there are any drainpipes on the outside wall check there are no leaks, and if they are cast iron also check for cracks.
An easy tell tale sign is if there is a buildup of lichen/moss on the wall around where the pipe is.
The fix for this is replace the pipe work or fix any loose joints.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:18 am