Neighbours Concern Over Loadbearing Wall for Loft Conversion
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
katiesdad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Neighbours Concern Over Loadbearing Wall for Loft Conversion

by katiesdad » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:08 pm

A normal, simple loft conversion, in a two storey, mid terrace, first floor flat, no dormers, just new floor joists running from front to middle, to the back load bearing walls. Planning and B Regs approved. Independent Engineer assessed and approved with no problems. BUT now the owner of the ground floor flat is concerned that the brick built 4” middle wall of the house will collapse under the extra load!! They have asked for me to provide a structural engineer to guarantee that the wall will be OK. There are no cracks anywhere on the whole building. How can someone who is qualified or not, guarantee something they have no control over? Please can anyone help me get around the hypothetical problem? Everyone I speak to say that this is a ridiculous request, as this type of work is done on a daily basis. On the other hand, can I pay for a one-off insurance to cover this possible eventuality?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Neighbours Concern Over Loadbearing Wall for Loft Conversion

by welsh brickie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:42 pm

you have approval and the beam calculated tell him that, Ignore anything else he says

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:49 am