Tight Bristan 1901 Basin Pillar Taps
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

Nearlyman
Tradesman
Tradesman

Tight Bristan 1901 Basin Pillar Taps

by Nearlyman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:29 pm

Have 6, identical, model 1901 Bristan basin taps - 3 per 'wet' room all of which are as fitted in the property, when I bought it new, 10 years ago.
From day one I have never been entirely happy with these taps, but attempts by the developer's contractors to remedy matters saw the taps eventually becoming - some years later - relatively hard to turn; some, worse than others. Situation is that the gland compression nut (embracing the spindle) is, on nearly all of the taps, fully backed off - tightening this nut only causes the tap to seize up, making the taps virtually impossible to turn. One or two of the taps do in fact dribble occasionally from this gland, but not so seriously that it can't be 'lived' with.However, as a timed-served toolmaker, now retired, but with access to a well equipped workshop - courtesy of the model making group I belong to - I feel I should make some attempt to resolve the the problem myself. Problem; I can see no way, what-so-ever, of getting into the capstan assembly in order to extract the (apparently) faulty gland. that is there appears to be no way of releasing the spindle.
I did try Bristans for help, but whilst they were indeed helpful - by sending me new capstan assys FOC - they were for the wrong model! I didn't have the heart to tell them, so, here I am. Can anyone help please? I don't care for the idea of destroying one of the taps to find out how they were built and at the same time I can't afford to replace ALL the taps as I know that although these taps were very very cheap they seem to be no longer available. Apart from that, fitting another brand, as a complete replacement, will involve re-plumbing every one and, in my experience, a simple, straight swap out cannot always be guaranteed!

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:16 pm