Obscured Glass in Window in 2 Storey Extension
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jamiejones20
Labourer
Labourer

Obscured Glass in Window in 2 Storey Extension

by jamiejones20 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi,

I was given planning permission for a two storey extension in 2011 with a condition that a rear window in the 1st floor of the extension should be obscure glass and that this should not been negated by opening.

The building regs chap checked to see if it opened when he did an assessment but I didn't want to say anything at then time because I was advised by the architect not to rock the boat (there had been an objection from the neighbour to the rear).

My question is whether not this is enforceable? Does there need to be an egress (given that this is the only standard window in the room aside from a velux in the roof)?

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Obscured Glass in Window in 2 Storey Extension

by diydoctor6 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:17 am

Hi jamiejones20,
I'm not sure what you are getting at, but if you mean that if the planning conditions restrict you from doing something that are required to do by the building regulations, then this construction should not of taken place. I guess this is why your architect wanted you to keep quiet.

In practice, there will almost certainly be a way to achieve what the building inspector requires in another way, although there will be a small risk that there might not be.

I suspect that you do not want to test the enforceability of this situation, or there is a risk that it could become expensive for you.

jamiejones20
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Obscured Glass in Window in 2 Storey Extension

by jamiejones20 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Thanks for that.

I was wondering if the two things are contradictory.

Do I need an egress from the bedroom? And if so does this not contradict the restriction on full opening?

The construction was completed in 2013. Could they make me take it down for the sake of one windows? Could building control enforce the opening of the egress?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1