Does Johnstone's stain block primer also work as a sealant?
DIY hints, tips and solutions to the removal and repair of marked and stained areas

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fraziel
Labourer
Labourer

Does Johnstone's stain block primer also work as a sealant?

by Fraziel » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:25 pm

Does anyone now if this also works as a sealant? I have had to repair part of my ceiling after being flooded ( twice, the second time after i had repainted to fix the first time) . I repaired the artex ceiling with adhesive and it is ok. I am now going to use a stain killer/block to overpaint the water stains.

The company whose shoddy work resulted in me being flooded twice have supplied Johnstones stain block primer. The blurb on the tin says its a stain blocker/primer but has no mention of sealant like many other stain killers have.

As i will be repainting the ceiling with emulsion i would like the areas where i have used adhesive to be sealed so that there is no chance of the wet paint loosening the adhesive. Does anyone know if i would definitely need a sealant , would Johnstones stain block primer do the job and does it also work as a sealant?

thanks

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Does Johnstone's stain block primer also work as a sealant?

by diydoctor6 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:28 am

Hi Fraziel,
I'm not sure what adhesive you have used on your ceiling as this sounds a little strange.

I am not sure that you would need to "seal" the ceiling as you describe and a stain blocking primer alone should be adequate. I've not used the Johnson's product you mention, but have use equivalent products from other brands and see no reason for this one to be any different.

We do have a project on preparing surfces for painting, which you might find helpful:
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/pr ... inting.htm

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:18 am