Victorian Fireplace Renovation and Help Needed With Opening
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevr125
Labourer
Labourer

Victorian Fireplace Renovation and Help Needed With Opening

by kevr125 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:31 am

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place...

Recently moved into a Victorian property and we've started some of the renovations we want to get done. I've taken out the hideous 80's gas fire with the intent of installing either an original or repro cast iron combination fire for solid fuel.

My question is: Can anybody tell me if the straight edges at either side of the fireplace in the attached picture is the original builders opening? And is this where I need to remove the brickwork to? I'll obviously be getting a sweep in, but wanted to open it out first so I can measure the openings as we've possibly found a fire. If it is that opening that I need to go back to, it measures about 39-40" and the fireplace is 38" wide - can I run a course of bricks either side into the fireplace to shrink the opening a little to make the fireplace fit or do I need to find a fireplace big enough to cover the original opening?

THanks in advance for the help!!!!

Any advice welcome!

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0875_SMALL.jpg

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Victorian Fireplace Renovation and Help Needed With Opening

by welsh brickie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:02 pm

by the look of the picture, you can remove the brickwork and the fireback to give you the maximum opening size.
If you want a log burner then you will need the maximum size possible, and can either plaster it or line it with brick.
If its a cast iron fireplace then you will need to line it with bricks and a fireback depending on the design

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:49 pm