Terrible Gravel Decision and now Wondering how to Fix
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jonobo
Labourer
Labourer

Terrible Gravel Decision and now Wondering how to Fix

by Jonobo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi there,

So basically I’ve had about 8 bags of 40mm gravel delivered to my place, dumped on top of my driveway and raked out evenly in a bid to create a minimal upkeep, nice looking drive.

I didn’t do any research before this and so didn’t dig out any land below for the gravel, or lay compactor (MOT1?) etc. - it’s literally just gravel on earth - and it’s a big ol’ driveway.

As you can probably imagine, this is absolutely horrendous to walk or drive on - trenches, puddles etc. - though tbh I do like how it looks aesthetically. I’ve seen people online refer to it as similar to something they use on racetracks as runoff for the cars or something? Obviously I’m hugely regretting the decision, and am now wondering what steps could be taken to fix it?

Am I going to have to move it all to one side, do it properly, then move it all to the other side and do it there too? I saw something about epoxy on here as well, is that potentially a good choice? Equally, could I rent out one of those compactor machines and pack the stones in a bit that way? Or potentially use smaller stones to pour on top and fill out the gaps?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Terrible Gravel Decision and now Wondering how to Fix

by Skid Sprocket » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:18 pm

40 mm seems a bit large 20mm or even 12mm pea gravel would have been more suitable and easier to bed in. There is a system of resin gravel paths and drives but i think they use i2 or 20mm gravel. When you say 8 bags do you mean 8 x 1ton bags? i would have a word with a local builder and see if you can sell and or swap some of your large gravel for a bit of advice!

Jonobo
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Terrible Gravel Decision and now Wondering how to Fix

by Jonobo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure they were a tonne, maybe like 750kg each I'm not sure.

It's already spread over the drive, so you thinking I should collect it all back up into bags and then try and sell it/trade it with a builder for 20mm?

I'm not against that I guess, a lot of work I imagine haha

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 10:34 am