Top of Joist Inaccessible to Fix new Loft Boarding to
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bacar
Labourer
Labourer

Top of Joist Inaccessible to Fix new Loft Boarding to

by bacar » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Hello - I am trying to board up a small loft for storage with chipboard flooring. I'm new to diydoctor (it seems like one of the friendlier forums!) so go easy on me - thanks!

The top of the last joist (at each end) of the area I want to board up is inaccessible - it has been used by the previous owner/builder to support a vertical timber structure that appears to be partly holding up the roof.

Consequently I can't lay the last stretch of chipboard T&G flooring directly onto this joist. What's the best thing to do? I figure I am best placed attaching another joist to it - but I'm not sure of the best/safest way to do that. Or perhaps some kind of bracket is available but I'm not sure what to search for.

IMG_7923.JPG

It has these roof supporting structures on 3 sides (it's hipped) - it looks like the space has been partially prepared for a possible conversion as there's a window and roof insulation too, though I think the whole thing is new - it's on the side extension which is <15y old.

Thanks!

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Top of Joist Inaccessible to Fix new Loft Boarding to

by Sometimewoodworker » Thu May 03, 2018 7:53 am

bacar wrote:Hello - I am trying to board up a small loft for storage with chipboard flooring. I'm new to diydoctor (it seems like one of the friendlier forums!) so go easy on me - thanks!

The top of the last joist (at each end) of the area I want to board up is inaccessible - it has been used by the previous owner/builder to support a vertical timber structure that appears to be partly holding up the roof.

Consequently I can't lay the last stretch of chipboard T&G flooring directly onto this joist. What's the best thing to do? I figure I am best placed attaching another joist to it - but I'm not sure of the best/safest way to do that. Or perhaps some kind of bracket is available but I'm not sure what to search for.

IMG_7923.JPG

It has these roof supporting structures on 3 sides (it's hipped) - it looks like the space has been partially prepared for a possible conversion as there's a window and roof insulation too, though I think the whole thing is new - it's on the side extension which is <15y old.

Thanks!

Just sister a joist onto the existing one. Glue and nail fixing is preferable, if you have to use screws make sure they are strong enough.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:42 am