Shower Draining Very Slowly and Water From Sink Coming up Through Plughole
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
laura123
Labourer
Labourer

Shower Draining Very Slowly and Water From Sink Coming up Through Plughole

by laura123 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 pm

I purchased a new property and have had a slow draining shower since day 1. By the end of a shower I am always stood in an inch or two of water. I have also noticed that when the sink tap is running on full there is lots of gurgling and water will appear up the plughole of the shower. I purchased plenty of drain unblockers but nothing worked so eventually I got a plumber in. He took one look and said the fall of the waste pipe was not steep enough. It was flat along the floor, absolutely no fall at all. Had him in yesterday to do repairs and this morning when I tested it there was no difference at all. Water still filled the tray and water from the sink still came up the plughole.

If it is not due to the fall of the pipe and drain unblockers are not doing anything what could be the problem here??

DocMartin
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Shower Draining Very Slowly and Water From Sink Coming up Through Plughole

by DocMartin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:05 am

Well, I have a shower without a pedestal - the waste pipe actually goes under the floorboards, so the arrangement is a little different to yours but essentially the same apart from that I would think.

If I pull on the chrome top to the waste hole in the corner of the shower it pulls out (after a bit of resistance - it's a snap fit) and then I can see lots of hair and matted slime both in the bit of the waste that comes out with the chrome waste and in the (also removable) water trap underneath.

So maybe you just need to pull your waste plug out and clean it out?

On the other hand, if water from the sink is coming up the shower waste then it suggests there might be a blockage further down the wastepipe. Where does it empty out? Does it go out through the house wall into a drain pipe or empty into a hopper?

robshort18
Apprentice
Apprentice

by robshort18 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:27 pm

I've had the same problem in several of my properties and didn't know until I'd already moved new tenants in, I always get it done for a fixed price by https://www.drain247.co.uk/ they offer fixed prices for individual domestic issues too, so I'd say if you can't be bothered for hassle use them.

Alternatively, you can always try to get your hands on some acid/drain unblocker yourself, but the guy who comes out from the drainage company tells me the over-the-counter stuff available to the public isn't nearly as strong as the professional stuff which you need to be qualified for, which is good for the public given the way the world is!

But could be worth a shot, if not, like I say you'll save a lot of faffing about, even if it costs a few quid.

Best of luck

j_nevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

by j_nevil » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:05 pm

I would presume that the house in question is relatively old?

This used to be an issue in an old Victorian property of mine, when water was emptied from the sink, it would come out of the plughole and there would be a vile stench. In the end we had to completely redo the plumbing to rectify it.

It was worth the outlay as the smell was dreadful!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:57 pm