Wiring Question and Fitting 3-pin Plug in Place of Light Fixing
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JimboX
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring Question and Fitting 3-pin Plug in Place of Light Fixing

by JimboX » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi there,
I have a 2 switches in my bedroom that are on the lighting circuit. I find that the wiring is as follows: 2 reds in the top connection, 1 red in the bottom connection, 3 blacks linked together and not connected to the switch, and 3 earths linked together and connected to the boxes in the wall.
Among the above wiring is a 3-core wire that protrudes from the wall above the switch for a light fixing.
I would like to fix a 3-pin socket to the existing box to plug in a light and NOT use the extra wire above (the extra wire is plastered into the wall and ideally I would like to bury it rather than remove it).
Is this feasible and which wires should I use? The unused wires I propose to cut away and leave buried.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
JimboX

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring Question and Fitting 3-pin Plug in Place of Light Fixing

by Mr White » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 pm

You can not just leave wires "buried in the wall" as it will cause problems later, not to mention it is dangerous. It is also not easy to diagnose everything from a keyboard to that ends I recommend you get a competent person round to do the job for you. It does NOT have to be an electrician.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Sounds like you could do away with the flex that goes to the light & instead of a light switch, replace with a 2 or 5 amp round pin socket with appropriate plug. These are still used for lighting to also stop someone accidentally plugging in a 13 amp plug with something that will blow the 6amp lighting fuse.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:13 pm

You can't just put sockets on light switches.....

The circuit is only protected with a 6a fuse/MCB, what's to stop someone plugging an 13A fan heater of hair dryer into it, it's going to trip the fuse or catch fire.

The 3 blacks not connected to the switch as you said are infact very important wires, these are the neutral wires one coming from the consumer unit, one going to the light fitting & one going to the next fitting.

The 2 reds going to the top connection are live to the switch & live going to the next switch. Red at the bottom is the switch wire going to the light fitting.

Best to call in a competent person in & be safe

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:33 am