Door Closes for Fire Regulation and Options for Soft Closers
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hawkeyefxr
Labourer
Labourer

Door Closes for Fire Regulation and Options for Soft Closers

by hawkeyefxr » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:42 am

We had a loft extension done over 20 years ago, after this was completed we were told by the inspector that we needed closer on the bedroom doors on the now 1st floor.
I think i have fitted three types over the years but they are all just spring loaded ones, this means if they are set to shut the door with the windows closed, when the window is open it slams shut, this will eventually loosen the door frame!
Basically you can't get the door to shut quietly in both circumstances ie. window open and window shut.
Yes you can get hydraulic closes like for business premises but they are a right eyesore.
Are there any soft closers for domestic doors.

DaveyTed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Door Closes for Fire Regulation and Options for Soft Closers

by DaveyTed » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:32 pm

I have recently had a loft conversion done and was advised fire doors no longer require closers or intumescent strips. Due to installing mains smoke alarms in all habitable rooms I only needed one fire door fitted and that passed building inspection without closer or strips.
Seems silly to have fire doors that can be left open that appears to be the regs now.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1