Hanging a Frameless Picture Safely
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MollyFinch
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hanging a Frameless Picture Safely

by MollyFinch » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:56 pm

I've made a couple of frameless pictures by sandwiching posters between backing board and glass, all held together with clips. The instructions I read said not to hang the wire between the clips as they may pull off. I ignored the instructions and now a few months later have just noticed that the glass has cracked horizontally on both posters at the height of the wire. Does anybody know of a method of hanging frameless pictures like this? The backing board is 3 mm, not thick enough to screw D clips in.

john_ardia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Hanging a Frameless Picture Safely

by john_ardia » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:47 am

Yes, I used an alternative. I bought a two side foamy adhesive tape for this type of wall hanging pictures. If you use total 4 inch tape in 4 corners then it will be okay. I have also attached a 3 feet by 3 feet processed wood board by this two side tape and it's still going strong about 2 years. For the board I used 1 inch tape 9/10 times. In the corner of the board, middle and side. So no worries.

MollyFinch
Apprentice
Apprentice

by MollyFinch » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks for your reply John. I have a question though about your method - how do you fix the glass to the poster and board? Or the poster to the board come to that? I was thinking of using spray glue to fix the poster to the board but there's still the question of holding the glass.
So far you are the only person who's replied so many thanks.

MollyFinch
Apprentice
Apprentice

by MollyFinch » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi John
I probably didn't make it clear in my original post. I assumed that the cracking was due to the clips so I was looking for another way to make this type of picture either without clips or possibly I didn't use enough clips. Who knows?
Molly

robshort18
Apprentice
Apprentice

by robshort18 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 am

How about some 3M sticky pads on the back? Just stick it to the wall...

MollyFinch
Apprentice
Apprentice

by MollyFinch » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks for your reply. A great idea but doubt if the sticky pads would be strong enough. The completed mirror is 90 x 60 cm and with the mirror tiles and backing board would by pretty heavy.

MollyFinch
Apprentice
Apprentice

by MollyFinch » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:23 am

Hi Rob Short
I apologise - I thought you were posting a solution to another problem I had - how to hang a mirror I'd made by sticking mirror tiles to a backing board 3mm thick.
Your solution to the hanging a frameless picture doesn't solve the problem of holding the sandwich of glass, poster and backing board together without using the clips that caused the thing to crack.
Thanks anyway for your interest
Molly

SamBar
Labourer
Labourer

by SamBar » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:36 pm

Please could you help? I need to hang a glass piece of art (flat glass, no holes in it). It mounted fine on masonary walls, now need to hang in on plaster (dry wall). What are the best fixings to use? The glass has no drilled holes in it. The plastic clips provided have long thin screws and there is no way i can just screw them into plaster board rawl plugs - its too heavy. It's 2m x 1.2m (height). I cant use bolts with the current fixings as the holes are long and thin for normal screws. Many thanks, Sam

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:54 am

Hi

Hanging heavy objects on plasterboard and getting it to stay there is a tricky job.

Ideally, when fixing to plasterboard, the best method is to fix through the plasterboard into the stud work behind it. We have a project here on using a stud detector that may help you: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/d ... gstuds.htm

If you can't get all fixings into studs, locate and fix to as many as you can.

In terms of fixings to plasterboard, there are quite a few different types of plasterboard fixings all with varying degrees of strength, we have a project covering them here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/f ... rboard.htm

Hope this helps

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:11 pm