Stannah 420 Stair Lift Not Working!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jpier939
Labourer
Labourer

Stannah 420 Stair Lift Not Working!!

by jpier939 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:35 am

I have a Stannah 420 stairlift that i just replaced the batteries in. Now the chairlift with not move. It doesnt beep so i know that there is a connection between the charger and the batteries. At the top of the rail i measure about 28VDC. No blown fuses are broken limit switches. Anyone run into this problem before??

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Stannah 420 Stair Lift Not Working!!

by Mr White » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:40 pm

jpier939, I feel sorry for you as this is an "electrical" forum, need to know how to wire a socket? why did the new light you just installed go bang? what size cable for..............none of these are a problem, but an item such as a stair lift has its own quirks and foibles, sorry we can not help you.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:44 pm

Are you sure that the battery was fitted correctly & is charging.

An elderly neighbour has a Stannnah that was not working. I found a red handle and wound the stair lift down a bit and the chair worked on electric power. It goes down to the stop, shuts off and will then respond to the electric switch and go up to the top. At the top, when a small arm or lever mounted on the chair botom raises a wheel which is attached to an arm, a rotating cam triggers a shutoff switch. This switch is the problem. Once it's off, the power stays off (until I again manually lower the chair a bit). The interim fix is not to let the chair travel all the way to the top of the run.

I have found that I can raise the arm manually a few inches and hear a click, and after that the electric switch won't work. If I raise the lever way up and rotate the cam all the way I hear another click and the chair will work again, but the mechanical design does not appear to allow that range of movement in normal use.
Is there an adjustment or must the switch be replaced?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:04 pm

I did not have that model, but did have problems, the batteries relied on being discharged on a regular basis, if the lift was not used, the batteries would over charge and fail, seem to remember the link between the two batteries had a fuse in it, so if fuse blows, there is no alarm as while on station still 28 volt across battery.

I found it so easy to trigger a micro switch, it was rather stupid, as it would not let you travel until leg at bottom was down, and you could not see the leg from top, I fitted a mirror on the half way point where stairs changed direction.

I found the batteries showed 28 volt until you started to travel, and it would take you down the stairs, but not back up again as battery voltage went too low, batteries would last around 2 years only.

Also there were some 9 volt PP3 batteries in the controls, since fixed I thought hard wired, but no it was a wireless link to chair. The leg at bottom also had a separate 12 volt battery.

Had the wires loop on bottom of lift get caught in lift and rip out wires, most the way they were inside the tubes, but at bottom they could get caught.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:30 pm