Replacing light switch cover - random yellow/green wire
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AJH67

Replacing light switch cover - random yellow/green wire

by AJH67 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi
I want to replace my white plastic light switch, the switch is in my bedroom and its one box with two switches, one for the bedroom light and one for bathroom light which automatically switches the extractor on in the en-suite. Usually i just take photo and re wire new switch by just copying. so when i opened this switch i found a yellow and green wire just hanging not attached to anything, there are 2 black and 2 red and that looks simple to change over but im concerned about the yellow and green, should it be attached to anything? or shall i just replace the switch and ignore the yellow/green wire as it all works ok so not sure what that wire does?? so its such a basic question
Attachments
light1.jpg
light1.jpg (22.04 KiB) Viewed 1849 times

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing light switch cover - random yellow/green wire

by ericmark » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:38 pm

It looks like a metal back box, normally there is an earth terminal in one corner, the regulations say there must be an earth wire since 1966, but if the back box and switch are plastic it does not need to be connected.

AJH67

by AJH67 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:48 pm

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is definitely a metal box, so are you saying I don’t have to connect it to the switch, just leave it sitting there as I found it?

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Read Eric's reply again

AJH67

by AJH67 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:56 pm

I would really love it if someone could just tell me if I have to connect the earth wire to my new plate cover as the box and new cover is metal. Alternatively I could just slit my wrists and be done with it. TIA

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:59 pm

Yes connect the earth wire back to the metal back box

AJH67

by AJH67 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:39 pm

Thank you

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:34 pm