External above ground mains feed in front garden
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hmul1
Labourer
Labourer

External above ground mains feed in front garden

by Hmul1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:13 pm

Hi All,

I’m new to this site having just moved into my first house - so expect to be using it a lot!

I’m hoping someone can help - the house is set back quite far from the road and mains electricity box. In a couple of locations in the front garden there are these above ground loops of exposed wiring. I assume this is the mains electric feed from street to house?

Does anyone know why it needs to be exposed in this way? I am guessing so the feed can be easily located?

It is hard to see in the image but this loop reaches about 4ft out of the ground and is really ugly - right beside the drive - does it really need to be so prominent?

Also because the outer sheeth is open to the sky it catches rainwater meaning the mains feed is effectively constantly surrounded by a coat of water!

Does this raise any alarm bells with anyone else / any suggestions or examples of people seeing this in the past?

Many thanks
Harry
Attachments
8F935CEE-40D9-4013-A19C-35B850079918.jpeg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: External above ground mains feed in front garden

by Mr White » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:26 pm

I would say that is a supply FROM your house, not TO your house.
It looks like someone was going to install garden lighting, and never finished it.
Are there any more of them?
Is there a light at the end of your garden?
Have you got switches or fuses in the house that "do nothing"
Failing that you could always dig it up and see where it goes, but don't cut it.

Hmul1
Labourer
Labourer

by Hmul1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Mr White wrote:I would say that is a supply FROM your house, not TO your house.
It looks like someone was going to install garden lighting, and never finished it.
Are there any more of them?
Is there a light at the end of your garden?
Have you got switches or fuses in the house that "do nothing"
Failing that you could always dig it up and see where it goes, but don't cut it.

That’s a very good point! Yes there are garden lights + an electric gate all supplied from the main fuse box in the house. There is also a garage with full electricity supply, but has a separate fuse box.

It comes above ground in a similar loop in one other location. Issue with digging it up is it goes under the drive.

I guess my main questions are:
- Is there anything I can do to make it less of an eye sore? (Any issue with digging a deeper hole to bury it in??)
- is the fact it catches rain water dangerous / likely to cause future issues.

Thanks again

mckaymmc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mckaymmc1 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Xlpe cable is fine for UV and water exposure. It shouldnt be submerged in water but will be fine in free draining soil.

Different story if it was pvc ie your grey twin and earths.

If it is unsightly just carefully bury the excess and mark its location so it doesnt get damaged.

Hmul1
Labourer
Labourer

by Hmul1 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:09 am

mckaymmc1 wrote:Xlpe cable is fine for UV and water exposure. It shouldnt be submerged in water but will be fine in free draining soil.

Different story if it was pvc ie your grey twin and earths.

If it is unsightly just carefully bury the excess and mark its location so it doesnt get damaged.

Many thanks - much appreciated

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:02 pm