Ceiling light not wired correctly
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Biver
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ceiling light not wired correctly

by Biver » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:54 am

Hi all,

I've replaced a ceiling light and, even though I think I've wired it correctly, it isn't turning on. All wires are tightly screwed in.

When I removed the old light, I took a video of the wires but several of them had come loose as I unscrewed the body so I am only really guessing where each wire should go now.

It's a two-gang switch, both one way, and the other light in the room is working fine.

Photo of the wiring without annotations
Photo of the wiring without annotations

Photo of the wiring with the wires that come from the same wire coloured in their groups
Photo of the wiring with the wires that come from the same wire coloured in their groups

Photo of the wiring with each wire identified by a letter
Photo of the wiring with each wire identified by a letter

If anyone can help me rearrange the wires into the correct configuration I would be really grateful. From what I've read, I've got the correct number of wires (three) going into both the live and earth ports. However, most wiring diagrams show two wires going into the neutral port but I only have one.

Thanks a lot in advance

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Ceiling light not wired correctly

by chriscba » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:51 pm

Move the black wire with red sleeve from N to L ( this is the switch wire)

Move the 3 reds together to the spare block on their own(this is the live loop to the next light)

Move the 3 blacks to the N block(these are the Neutrals)

Biver
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Ceiling light not wired correctly

by Biver » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:57 am

Chriscba, you are a legend! Thanks a lot, pal, the light's working and you've saved me a fortune

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:24 am