Telephone Sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Barrysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Telephone Sockets

by Barrysh » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:08 pm

Hi. Virgin Media are soon to convert the phones in our area to their fibre network. They have sent a small 6inch adapter cable with a male end to fit into our Virgin wifi hub and the phone fits into the other end. Many years ago I wired extension sockets all over the house but Virgin say these will no longer work. My thinking is
Disconnect the incoming cable where it is connected to the phone socket in the hall. Its still the old type bt socket if that makes any difference. Get a phone extention lead and cut off the socket end and connect it to the hall socket. All the sockets should now work hopefully. Even better if possible just connect to the nearest socket in the bedroom close to where the hub is situated. Any thoughts? Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Telephone Sockets

by ericmark » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:39 am

Mothers house had been fiddled with by my dad in the days when not permitted to do work yourself. There was never a master socket fitted, and not a clue how he got old phones to ring, but he had been using cordless sockets for years, but still had the earth electrode from when it was a party line in the late 50's.

We had a succession of OpenReach engineers, and in the end a new master socket was fitted.

Not quite as bad with my own house, but again all internal sockets did need to be disconnected installed in the days of the fax machine which would auto disconnect phones when a fax was detected.

The problem is once broad band arrived the twist of the supply wires became important, with the old phone using blue and orange worked, but once broad band arrived picking a pair became important, and many of my internal wires were done in LAN cable not phone cable as it was to hand at the time.

I simply don't have the equipment to test cables and work out their impedance, I can test the DC connection, but that is all, so I have no idea if internal cables are good or bad, so where ever openreach fits the master socket that is where the phone and internet boxes go, bit of a pain in this house as no sockets to power any cordless phone, router, or hub, but gone are the days when we could fit up to 5 REN of sockets around the house.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:27 pm