All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andygreen9911
Labourer
Labourer

Noisy unvented cylinder/pipes.

by andygreen9911 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:26 pm

HI everyone,

I'm looking for some thought/opinions on what could be causing issues with noise and pressure since having a pressurised un-vented cylinder installed with an Air Source Heat Pump from a traditional gravity fed system.

When it was first installed, whenever a hot tap was run there was a really loud blow torch noise/whooshing coming from the new tank.

The installers came back out several times to try different things to fix it and as one problem is resolved another appears.

1. First they installed a PRV by the stop cock and an arrester by the tank, did not fix the issue.

2. Then they piped a new feed direct to tank (I think 22mm, existing pipe is all 15mm, 80's build) removed PRV and arrester.

3. This stopped the whooshing when running the hot, and created strong hot pressure out of the tap....but now there is the loud blow torch noise when any COLD is run and a whistling noise (so, even worse as it continues for ages each time the loo is flushed!) The cold water pressure is also terrible now since this direct feed to the tank was installed.

4. They came back out today, fitted an arrester and turned down the pressure at the unvented cylinder inlet valve. This had reduced noise but also reduced cold water pressure to a trickle and not fixed the actual issue

To think I was worried about the ASHP being noisy is hilarious, it's completely unnoticeable!

Any help, opinions, advice would be greatly appreciated

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Noisy unvented cylinder/pipes.

by stoneyboy » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:44 pm

Hi andygreen9911,
Aside from the fact that it sounds like your installer is clutching at straws, would you know if they are fitting flow or pressure reducers. The latter should have an integral pressure gauge fitted.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:24 am