surge protection socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rhino.fog
Apprentice
Apprentice

surge protection socket

by rhino.fog » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:56 am

Hi,
I am having a new fibre line installed and want to provide a power socket for the OTP and Router with surge protection.

While I can find many examples of trailing extension sockets with surge protection, there seem to be very few options with it built into the wall socket itself. As I am tight on space to fit everything in, adding a socket and an extension bar would take up too much space.

2 Gang mains extension leads with Surge Protection seem to cost around £3 to £6 whereas an MK Logic Plus 13A DP 2 Gang Spike Filtered Switched Socket is £84 (from CEF) which is quite a difference.

Any advice on the best way forward would be appreciated.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: surge protection socket

by Mr White » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:37 am

If you are that worried, buy a plug in surge protector such as This one (Click the link)

You are more likely to get a spike down the phone line than up the mains, and CEF are always expensive. (I also bet you said you are not trade)

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:52 am

Surge protection devices can fail, so most built into sockets can be renewed without renewing whole socket, they also come as different classes, and I have not really looked into what the classes mean, I think the one built into my consumer unit was around the £30 mark, and it has indicators to show if still healthy, and are designed to stop spikes damaging items like LED lights, I know items switching within a circuit can cause spikes past the main device, but would not think it really needs extra protection to what is already in most modern consumer units.

rhino.fog
Apprentice
Apprentice

by rhino.fog » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:44 pm

Thank you for the responses, they have been very useful.
I have found another option which has a more palatable price tag M2 Surge protection socket (https://www.videk.co.uk/section.php/1437/) but I am now considering having surge protection added to the consumer panel.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:57 pm

I personally think you are wasting your money. I have only ever seen one "spike" that did damage, it came down the data line, not the mains, but it's your money.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:49 am

I am also as an electrician unsure if surge protection is required, if a surge was taking out our LED lights, one would expect to see multi failures at the same time, I have not seen this,

However my son has lost more LED bulbs than me, and I have a SPD and he does not, but he thinks it was due to a bad batch of bulbs, and since all that failed were from same batch that does seem likely.

Equipment traditionally if vulnerable would have a filter built in, this would include items like a router, it is the cheaper items which are more likely not to have protection built in, but one can with a wind up mega show the SPD is working, although not a good idea as it can damage them, but it needs nearly the full 500 volt before they pass, so to me that does seem a little on the high side, so wonder if akin to snake oil?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:05 pm

Another "must have" that we neither want or need.

Arc Fault Detection Device (Average price £100+ Each)

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:29 am