Drilling holes in tiles.
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

adrianxw
Labourer
Labourer

Drilling holes in tiles.

by adrianxw » Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:04 am

In our bathroom, there is a wall mounted shower point connected to a mixer type tap on the wall. Around the shower area there is a curtain type thing that stop water splashing all over the room. The curtain is currently hanging from a, roughly square, metal tube arrangement which is connected to the wall at each end to plastic carriers. The plastic carriers are a problem. After being in daily use for about 18 months, the plastic cracks, and the metal tube that sit in the carrier starts to drop lower and lower. I've replaced the carriers a couple of times, but it, again, is time to replace them. Rather than use plastic carriers again, I have bought a curtain rail type thing that has metal wall hangers. The new hangers are stouter than the plastic ones, and rather than a single screw connecting the hanger to the wall, the new hangers have three screws at each end arranged in a triangle. One hanger is simply fixed to the wall just outside of the shower area, no problem, drill three holes, install the supplied plastic rawlplugs half the job is done. The hanger at the other end is mounted onto ceramic tiles, the screw hole is into the grout between the tiles. I do not have the option of mounting the new hanger outside the tiled area because the tiles continue to the wall. So, I need to drill three holes through the tiles, install the plugs and job done. Thing is, I have never tried to drill a hole, three holes actually, through the tiles, and can foresee disaster. How is this activity achieved with minimal, ideally no, risk?

It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:36 pm