restraint straps
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dents
Apprentice
Apprentice

restraint straps

by dents » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:07 pm

my floor joists run parallel to the walls and there are no straps to the floor joists which ive just discovered by starting to lay some new floor boards.
the house is a semi built around 1950 i guess and i always think its going to fall down.
(during the strong winds of january the outer leaf of the gable wall came down due to wall tie failure.)

gable wall is 32' approx long and 35'approx to ridge with cellar ,1st ,2nd floor and attic space to be converted.
i cant see any support for the inner leaf except the weight of the roof rafters.
to fit the straps can i simply plug and screw them to the wall or should i take out a brick and fit as in a new build?[/img]

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:50 am

dents

Plugging and screwing to th fac of the blockwork should be OK as a retrofit. Ideally they should hook over the brick / blockwork, but then you will not be able to get a screw fixing in the cavity. Good job to do as this will improve the stability of your wall and reduce chances of future movement.

Hope this helps.

LCL

dents
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dents » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:06 am

thanks for your reply,

yeah i wont be able to screw in the cavity ,god my brain sometimes !

but ah ha! i can if i take out the brick and then screw it and then replace it ,
but im not going to go down that road as it seems too much work for no gain so i will plug and screw about every 4' instead of 7'

can i ask if you know though ,i mean i am presuming that the straps should also be fitted to my party wall?? or are the three joists enough to give the restraint?

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:07 pm

You shouldn't need to fix to a party wall as there are minimal chances of movement occuring at this location. It is often good practice to regardless and is often specificed as such. Assuming your floor joists span front to rear, you should only need to install strapping to the sides, ie where the wall is parallel to the joists. In this location and at a maximum of 2.0m centres, the straps should be plugged and screwed to the wall and pass over at least three joists.

Few important pointers:

1. You'll have to notch out a 5 x 30mm notch to the top of each joist so that the top of the stap is level with the top of the joist. Be careful doing this as you do not want to over notch your joists which could weaken them.

2. Between the joists (under the straps) provide fulldepth noggings spike nailed to the joists with at least 75mm wire nails (100mm is better if poss)

3. Try to get at least 3 screw fittings to the wall as you are not putting the straps through the wall.

Have fun.

LCL

diyjustbecause
Labourer
Labourer

by diyjustbecause » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:32 pm

This topic is less kinky than I was expecting :wink:

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:29 pm