All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MattR
Apprentice
Apprentice

Decorative Chrome radiators

by MattR » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi,

We recently saw some chrome rads in B&Q and picked a couple up. They are slightly different to the chrome towel tradiators you can buy as they are designed for living rooms etc. When opening the box, It says on the instructions that these rads are not suitable for use on direct central heating systems because a corrosion inhibitor cannot be added. I live in a house thats about 9 years old and has a combi boiler. I was going to replace the small rad in hall and 2 in living room with these chrome ones. Am i stuffed!??

How is a central heating inhibitor added and what is its use??

Cheers

Matt

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:24 am

A combi boiler utilises a secondary heating system and should already contain an inhibitor. So your radiators will be ok to use. The inhibitor should have been put in when the system was first filled and needs replenishing each time the system is drained. I find the easiest way to get it in is to pour it into the top of a heated towel rail. (Before filling that is!)

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:29 am

Oh, and amongst other things it's for stopping the system rusting and the subsequent build up of black sludge. You can get it in 2.5 litre containers from B&Q. Read instructions to work out how much you may need.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:32 am