Mains halogen spots notifiable work?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SpiceBoy
Labourer
Labourer

Mains halogen spots notifiable work?

by SpiceBoy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:58 am

Can anyone tell me whether this work is notifiable or not? All the information I can find online seems to be ambiguous!

I replaced 3 pendant light fittings with 100W bulbs in the dining room with 10 x 50W mains voltage halogen spots. Removed the cabling for 2 pendants and ran all 10 bulbs via JBs from the remaining pendant fitting.

Then I replaced an existing set of 7 halogen spots in living room with new set of 8 to match the dining room. Different layout of spots so new holes in ceiling and new cabling back to original JB linking to ring and switch. Living room is in an extension. There is loft insulation above the ceiling but I have cleared this for about 12 inches around each of the new lights.

Both sets of lights go back to single 2 gang switch and I have replaced this with a double dimmer switch.

I believe this work is NOT notifiable as I am replacing existing lighting circuits (new cabling but same ring and switch connections). Also, there are no step-down transformers as the lights are mains voltage and they are not in a kitchen or bathroom. Am I correct?

Many thanks in advance!

Robin

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:01 pm

hi SpiceBoy
Right don't want to be spoil sport but!
This is what you can do:
replace any electrical fitting control switches and ceiling roses, replace cables for a single circuit only where damaged ie fire,impact or rodent.
You can add lighting points to existing circuits. Kitchens,bathrooms special loacation excluded.
So i'd say you was okay but if anyone asked the question blame it on the mice! (JOKE) ha ha, Sorry.
Kind Regards happy DIYing

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1