fitting spotlights- a drilling problem Help!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
winterbehaviour
Apprentice
Apprentice

fitting spotlights- a drilling problem Help!

by winterbehaviour » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi I have never fitted a light before but I have taken the advice of a qualifed electrician and read the instructions that came with the fitting and I understand what to do. I took down the ceiling rose as the spotlights require a bracket fitting. I noticed that there was as a fitting in the hole with two brackets (like a box fitting but round) that the ceiling rose had been screwed into, I would have used this to screw the new bracket into but the holes are too close together and at the wrong angle for the spotlight bar I have. So all I had to do was drill two new holes into the ceiling to fit plugs into but when I started drilling into the masonary I couldnt get in more than about a centimetre, it seemed I had hit some metal, when I tried the other hole it was the same. I'm not sure if this metal is part of the existing box fitting or something else but I didnt think it would be a good idea to drill into it with a hss bit in case there are wires in there. The drill holes are about a centimetre from the hole where the rose was. Please help!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Hi, W-B,
what you have is a conduit box with tapped lugs for standard fixing centres. this box will have conduits running from it in 2 or 3 directions carrying cables in/out & to sw. so careful with drill!!!
if you shine a torch in box you can see wires direction. other thing may be reinforcing irons buried in concrete, lifes a bitch for leckies!!!
one way around it is to use a conduit box lid with bushed hole for wires to come through and 'trap' bar for new light under it.
BW, SPARX

winterbehaviour
Apprentice
Apprentice

by winterbehaviour » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi sparx I havnt looked yet as dont have a torch but I believe you are right about that. Do think a lid would be sufficent to support the weight of a the spotlights though? as they are quite fairly heavy metal spots. and is it possible to get metal lids as Ive only ever seen plastic ones. is this normally what you do in your experience? sorry I am a total novice but keen to learn how to do things myself!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:08 am

Hi W-B, yes metal box lid as used for metal conduit, are available from wholesalers or try to find friendly leckie these things cost pennies,
regards SPARX

winterbehaviour
Apprentice
Apprentice

by winterbehaviour » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:27 am

hi sparx I bought I lid today but it doesnt work because the bracket is dipped in the middle. anyway I had a proper look in the light I saw the I hadnt hit metal at all its concrete and the hole for the wires in the box are much further up. My drill is faulty and the hammer action doesnt work so im going to try and get a replacement

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:56 pm