All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jhs3jhs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Problem with boiler overheat lockout reset Halstead Quattro

by jhs3jhs » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:48 pm

hey,

I've moved into a house recently and been having problems with the boiler (Halstead Quattro).

The heating has been set on the timer and usually works fine.

Occasionally the central heating stops (cold) or comes on but at a low temperature. When this happens there is no sound coming from the boiler, so no indication of boiler burning, etc. Same problem happens with the water, sounds like water flowing through the boiler but no hot water. Especially annoying when i really need a shower, then desperation overcomes me and i usually end up adjusting the dials that control the temperature of heating and water and sometimes switch the boiler off then on at the mains switch. Sometimes it works but i cant really remember as i'm p*ssed off by this time.

The killer problem came this morning, the overheat light (red) came on. The boiler is still on as its making a sound but no hot water or heating. After reading the booklets that came with the boiler and checking on internet forums. I switched the boiler off at mains, to give it time to cool down. After a few hours i switched it back on, the red light remains. I then attempted to press the lockout reset button at the top of the boiler but all i found was a small circular hole and a sticker that says 'set' but no button.

there is no leaking or weird noises when it was working.

Anyone know what the problem is and how to solve?

Probably will have to call someone to come over to have a look. I'm in Huddersfield, west yorkshire. any idea approx how much a call out charge should be. also, even though the problem hasnt been diagnosed how much should this type of job cost.?

any help/advice regarding problems or hiring a plumber(is this the right person) would be appreciated.

davephelps
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Problem with boiler overheat lockout reset Halstead Quat

by davephelps » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:47 am

We got a Halstead and our reset button is on the bottom left hand side. Boiler does the same thing from time to time. You have to switch it to reset and push the reset button in.

British Gas do a good breakdown cover even if the boiler has a fault,

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by davephelps on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:53 pm

I think what is happing is all your radiator’s are turn off.

The person who installed it didn’t put in a by pass radiator or valve.

I would take off all the theom statistic valve heads; they just unscrew by hand and restart the boiler.

Leave one radiator on all the time, the bathroom one is normal.

davephelps
Labourer
Labourer

by davephelps » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:13 pm

Pete

Mine are on full blast, just moved from Weston-super-mare to Cheltenham and it's f f f freezing here ! :lol:

Dave

jhs3jhs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jhs3jhs » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:37 am

The overheat reset button which should have been accessible from the top of the boiler was broken so it had to be opened up to reset.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:52 am