2nd electric shower
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kenmac
Labourer
Labourer

2nd electric shower

by Kenmac » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:07 pm

I am thinking of having a 2nd elec shower fitted would they be able to run from there own breakers. Present shower is 8kw and second one would be the same. Am correct in saying both at same time will draw @ 75amps. What is the maximum a consumer can draw?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi, if both on together then 16000w/230V = 69.6Amps. so abt right.
as most main supply fuses are 100A consumer unit must be capable of carrying that much, it used to be considered 'good practice' to group higher rated circuits closest to main switch on consumer units but makers now say whole buss-bar fully 100A rated so doesn't matter which order.
It is unlikely that both showers would be on together for long unless you go in for 'synchronised-showering'!!! T.M.I.!!!
Diversity rules OK....
regards SPARX

rflight
Tradesman
Tradesman

by rflight » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:16 pm

Not sure about your local supply authorithy, but, in my area the supply company would not allow two showers on a domestic supply (you are talking domestic right). They will only allow two showers if an interlock system is installed so that both showers cannot be run at the same time. An interlock will usually comprise a single supply to a contactor that switches between showers as needed. The fact that you have a 100amp supply does make it more favourable for two showers (sure thats not just the rating of your isolater) as my supplier will only provide 60 or 80 amps total load. You should contact your power company for further advice.

Kenmac
Labourer
Labourer

by Kenmac » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:47 pm

Thanks for your anwsers I think an interlock is the best idea, there is no chance of an over load and no chance of both showers on at same time.
Thanks
Ken

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:25 am