Using a Marble Worktop as a BBQ?
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
burge124
Labourer
Labourer

Using a Marble Worktop as a BBQ?

by burge124 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi Guys

I've purchased second hand kitchen worktop from ebay. Wanted to use them for my BBQ area. My design is to have two pieces, one to act as a shelf to hold the coals (maybe 2/3 hours of cooking a couple times a year) the second 8 inches above that will use the cut out sink hole with a grill to cook food on.

Two questions...

Will the marble be ok with coal burning on top of it?
Will the heat transfer to all of the material and cause a safety issue (the entire worktop becomes very hot).

Thanks!

Elle Spark
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Using a Marble Worktop as a BBQ?

by Elle Spark » Fri May 07, 2021 12:34 pm

burge124 wrote:Hi Guys

I've purchased second hand kitchen worktop from ebay. Wanted to use them for my BBQ area. My design is to have two pieces, one to act as a shelf to hold the coals (maybe 2/3 hours of cooking a couple times a year) the second 8 inches above that will use the cut out sink hole with a grill to cook food on.

Two questions...

Will the marble be ok with coal burning on top of it?
Will the heat transfer to all of the material and cause a safety issue (the entire worktop becomes very hot).

Thanks!

Hi!
Your both concerns are valid:
Marble will not be OK with direct coal burning over it, you can use a blanket or an insulator in between the coal and marble.
Yes the heat can be transferred to all the material and can cause a safety issue.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:38 am