Rotten door jamb/frame replacement (scarfing?)
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pete.farrell1
Labourer
Labourer

Rotten door jamb/frame replacement (scarfing?)

by pete.farrell1 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi, I'm looking for some sdvice regarding the replacement of the lower parts of my front door frame. I have removed all of the decayed wood and purchased a new piece of timber machined to match the existing frame, everything in this area is now clean and dry.

My first question is about treatment of the timber, do I need to treat the wood with any product before painting. That is, before priming?

Secondly can you advise me about scarfing in the new section, it seems straight forward but are there any tips, do's and don'ts.
Do I need to protect the wood from moisture from the wall? (party wall)
How is the frame to be fixed to the wall? The original wood didn't appear to have any fixings at all.
I hope there is enough info here to be of use.
Many thanks, regards Pete(F)

LEO292
Apprentice
Apprentice

by LEO292 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:04 am

Hi, Cut a 45 degree mitre just above the rot and another mitre on the new timber which youve just had machined to size. It doesnt matter which way the mitre goes so long as the new and old jambs marry up together. Now treat all cut edges and plenty on the bottom and back of the new timber. Use a straight edge or spirit level to keep the new timber in line with the existing jamb and nail through the mitre. Now fix the new timber with screws to the brick work. Smooth the mitre flush and treat the whole frame. Re-hang the door and job done. Hope this helps. Leo.

pete.farrell1
Labourer
Labourer

Rotten door jamb/frame

by pete.farrell1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:18 am

Hi, thank for the advice. I'm sorry to be so long in replying-I've been away from my computer so unable to reply.

Just one thing-Any tips on sawing the door jamb in situ? (Seems Tricky!)

Regards Pete(F)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:17 pm