Creaky floorboards / using gap filler under skirting board??
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
min1300
Labourer
Labourer

Creaky floorboards / using gap filler under skirting board??

by min1300 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:24 pm

With reference to the article on fixing creaky floors: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/floor.htm

I believe that my particular problem is the t&g boards creaking under the stud wall. I have used soft wood wedges under the skirting boards and it appeared to fix it for a week or so. However, the creaking has returned. The article above suggests using gap filler after the wedges have been inserted. However, how much do i use? The article appears to imply that the gap between the skirting and the floor is filled, but don't i need that gap there for the carpet?

Any advise would be great, it's driving us mad and most of upstairs is like this!!

min

droylsden18
Apprentice
Apprentice

by droylsden18 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:14 pm

its a very old solution but you could try talcum powder,it acts as a lubricant between the boards, know it sounds daft but its suppose to work.
have you tried simply screwing the boards down to the joists,if your having carpet these wont be seen,remember to only screw at edge of boards as pipes ect. should! run down centre,to be on the safe side buy a metal/wire detector
hope this helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:58 pm