New system: Advise needed.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ducados
Labourer
Labourer

New system: Advise needed.

by ducados » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:50 pm

Hi

Let me start by saying I know nothing about central heating systems.
We currently have a broken Johnson & Starley JT19-25 MK2 system for hot water and warm air heating. Recently we have been using an electric emersion heater for water and stand-up oil filled radiators for heat. The emersion has now also broken so I need to decide what to do.

My feeling is to have the old unit stripped out and replaced with a new boiler and have radiators installed. I am not sure where to start with this and how not to get ripped off or pay over the odds. I have looked at British Gas site and they seem to offer packages. Do you rate them well? Are they well priced and reliable installation (on time) then aftercare? Should I be looking elsewhere? I would appreciate any advice or personnel experiences.

Any thoughts on the Johnson & Starley JT19-25 MK2 warm air system. Is it worth trying to get it fixed and operational again? Do people rate warm air heating systems?

Also, is Gas the way to go for the future? My feeling long term is that electric will be considerably cheaper than Gas. While we can build new Nuclear power stations we will always be dependent on imported Gas.

Many Thanks

Jason

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Warm air...

as I read your post I have just had a call from an old collegue who has told me about a recent carbon monoxide poisioning, fortunately wasn't fatal, but it was bad, and that was warm air.

It's definitely cheaper to try and get the old unit working again but there are a lot of risks carried with it.

I would suggest having a nice new condensing boiler, if your water pressure is good, a combi, if not, a system boiler. Gas is sent from the god of the ground for us to use up and pollute the environment with and as a CORGI man I strongly recommend gas as your way forward!

You will be looking at about 2-3K for a combi boiler or 3-4K for a system boiler in a three bedroom house, this includes a decent boiler and all the kit to help you get warm.

davsas
Apprentice
Apprentice

by davsas » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi adams heating, the price you are saying there for a new install to replace warm air heating, is that boiler, rads and pipes all fitted?

Bengasman
Labourer
Labourer

by Bengasman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:55 pm

To start with the easiest part: gas is, and will remain a far cheaper option.

Warm air units have inherent problems/risks, and are unlikely to work as efficiently as wet central heating.

British Gas: two main problems with this company.
1. Thousands of staff, ranging from very good (relatively few) down to really bad (a much higher percentage), and it is a lottery who you will get.

2. Millions worth of jobs are subcontracted out, often to individuals who often get paid pittance, but receive loads of agro.
Poor motivation often leads to poor workmanship.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1