Central Heating Pipework
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ian Thompson
Apprentice
Apprentice

Central Heating Pipework

by Ian Thompson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi
I have a run of piping from floor to ceiling, about 10 ft, in a downstairs room, that is held by clips. About half way down, one of the pipes( I think its the feed as its hotter) has started to bend outwards about a couple of inches from the wall.I've fitted an extra clip to hold the pipe, but it has come away from that as well!. It does not appear to be geting worse, and has not spread further up the wall, but I cannot get it to sit flush with the wall.

Any idea whats causing this?
thanks
Ian

2tellytel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Central Heating Pipework

by 2tellytel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:29 am

Hi, obviously very difficult to give 100% answer when not there in person,
however I had similar problem after I installed my central heating, remember copper will expand when heated, therefore may be cause of pipe popping out of clip.

Also if the pipe itself is not straight and has a slight curve in it which will put it under strain when trying to clip it in, could also be cause.

I initially used plastic clips that you push the pipe into, I am assuming these are what you have, however my answer was to use copper pipe clips that fit over the pipe and screw into the wall either side, this did the job for me.
Of cause depends if you have enough space either side to drill, so be cautious.

Screwfix stocked these last time I looked

Hope this helps.

Ian Thompson
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Central Heating Pipework

by Ian Thompson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:13 pm

Thanks for the tip, makes sense, should have thought about that myself!!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1