Paint Crazy Crackled due to Gloss Repelling Matt
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIY_Gal
Labourer
Labourer

Paint Crazy Crackled due to Gloss Repelling Matt

by DIY_Gal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi,
Many years ago, my dad painted the bathroom walls with a gloss paint (possibly oil based - I don't know for sure, and he's passed away now so I can't ask him) to make waterproof etc.
Years later (with no problems from the paint), some tradesmen came in to do a wet room for them and painted over the top of the dark green gloss with a matt pale blue paint.
This resulted in mud like crazy crackle all over where I guess the green gloss repelled the new matt paint, which was probably acrylic. (Photo attached - as you can see it even went round the outline of where the old wall heater was).
A couple of years after, with advice from a local shop, I painted an undercoat primer on it and then a top coat. Eventually this resulted in the same crazy crackle effect. Now this would be good if that's what I wanted. but it looks awful.
I now want to get this fixed as best I can for now.
Some have said fill the cracks with filler, light sand, then paint.
Others think doing a skim of plastering straight over it will solve it, but then a plasterer I asked who was repairing another room in my house said that the plaster could end up crazy crackling too.
I just tried paint stripper on a little bit, which took it down to the green but I realise the green is painted on a wallpaper lining that's on the plaster, so probably not the best idea. I don't want to try to strip the wallpaper as I don't know what the walls are like underneath (it's an old house) and as eventually we'll do a full reno on the bathroom, it really is just to make it look cosmetically better for now.
Someone else said Thistlebond it, (and then paint it) but that's REALLY expensive and I don't want to go down that route if that doesn't work for this type of problem either.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Many thanks
Attachments
IMG_3619_W.jpg

TommyPurdyPnD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Paint Crazy Crackled due to Gloss Repelling Matt

by TommyPurdyPnD » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Ooh nice! I'd recommend going over the whole lot with an all purpose primer (Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3) over the whole lot. Then gobit crazy with some decent powder mix filler (tout pret rapid dry v.nice to sand) rub it all down, then put two coats of a suitable emulsion over the top (Dulux Diamond Matt very tough).
Hope this works-good luck!

saljia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Paint Crazy Crackled due to Gloss Repelling Matt

by saljia » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi, I had a similar, but not so bad problem and used Zinsser peel stop, followed by two coats of emulsion and it seems fine although only done about 3 or 4 weeks ago, no cracks showing at all.
On the Zinsser website http://www.zinsseruk.com/technical-support/ you could give them a description and they will get back with advice pretty quickly. Good luck.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:25 pm