Can I boost the shine of painted wood?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ash
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can I boost the shine of painted wood?

by ash » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:08 pm

Hi,
I have painted some wooden panels with white gloss. There were some fine brush marks, so I rubbed over the whole thing with super-fine sandpaper. This has 'flattened' the brush marks, but I was wondering if there is a way to revive the full lustre of the gloss. I know there are liquids that can be rubbed into car paintwork to bring out the shine, so I suppose I am hoping for a similar solution to bring out the shine of painted wood.
Any advice much appreciated!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can I boost the shine of painted wood?

by stoneyboy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:10 pm

Hi ash,
If you want a glass like finish you will have to use oil based paints, thinned to a suitable consistency, and a good quality brush. Start by sanding the existing painted surface, working down to 400 grit wet or dry paper (use wet) so you cannot feel any imperfections with your fingertips. Then use oil based undercoat and again sand this to an ultra smooth surface. Once the surface is free from imperfections (including thin areas grinning through) apply top coat.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:26 pm