Page 1 of 1

Replace ballcock valve for Twyford wall cistern toilet

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:31 pm
by Magnus
Hello. As the only person in Sweden to have an old Twyford toilet with a wall cistern, I have encountered some problems when looking for parts and advice locally, which leads me here. Grateful for any help you can offer.

Long story short, when replacing the broken syphon (to a Dudley turbo 88 ordered from Amazon) I cracked the arm of the ballcock valve. As you might expect it is no longer shutting off the water flow properly and I have a constant small stream of water running down my toilet.

Here is what I would like to ask:
1) When disassembling the ballcock valve I've reached a component, (maybe a valve?), which I am unable to remove. See attached picture. How do I disassemble this?

2) I would prefer to replace the ballcock valve with a modern side entry inlet valve but there doesn't seem to be enough room for the inlet valve between the syphon and cistern wall. My idea to remedy this would be to turn the syphon so that the diaphragm housing is pointing to the left - but this is not so simple as I am unable to move the flush lever to the left-hand side of the cistern (that side of the cistern is up against a wall). Are there long flush lever arms designed for this purpose? Or are there any other options I am missing?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Replace ballcock valve for Twyford wall cistern toilet

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:14 am
by stoneyboy
Hi magnus.
You first issue is that a chrome elbow has been directly attached to the ball valve - presumably due to the tight space. You should be able to undo the joint by first removing the ball valve body then undoing the ball valve inlet piece fro inside the cistern.
You next issue is to find a side inlet valve which will fit in the space next to the siphon unit, probably one of the modern types with a short actuating arm. Like this
If there is not space you may have to replace the siphon unit with a plunger type flush unit.
Regards S