what are the numbers
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dzg123
Labourer
Labourer

what are the numbers

by dzg123 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:44 am

i have a bulb socket but it does not tell me where the wire goes so i am wondering what the wires are worth for e.g blue is worth what :1.5 what and i am also wondering how you find which wire goes where when it does not tell you plz ill b ever so happy if u can tell me

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi dzg123, I'm assuming by your explaination of the problem you have, that you have little knowledge of electrics, so need to be careful as I am trying to understand what you are asking!
By bulb socket I guess you mean the lampholder and the number 1.5 is related to the cable size.
Lighting circuits are "generally in domestic situations" are either installed in 1.00mm2 or 1.5mm2 cable this will be calculated on the design current of this circuit and other factors regarding the route of the cable and methods installed, thermal insulation, cable grouping and protective device being used. This will give the maximum fuse rating permited and therefore the cable size allowing that current flow safely.
What is it that your trying fix is it a ceiling, wall light or a free standing lamp?
Normally on the lampholder the blue/neutral flex/cable will be terminated at one side and the brown/line flex/cable at the other it will work either way. But I am assuming that is what you are fixing.
Remember safe isolation of circuit before you carry out any work, if you are unsure reply or call an electrician.
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:53 pm

I Smell a wind up!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:12 pm