DOwnlighter problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
charliewm
Apprentice
Apprentice

DOwnlighter problem

by charliewm » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi All,
Over year ago I had 50W halogen downlighters installed in my kitchen. There are 12 altogether and each has its own transformer. Recently they have decided to stop working, gradually one by one and now there are none working. An electrician came round and said the transformers had blown...ALL of them?? and it was odd that the voltage reading he was getting at the switch was 57, not 230. He said that they were wired in series which was ok but that the whole lot would need replacing. Is he correct?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:57 am

I would agree that for 12 transformers to blow seems a little unusual. At 2.6 amp I would have expected the trip to keep tripping as that's a lot of lights for one switch. I would go for low voltage instead of extra low voltage unless you suffer from voltage variations.
Eric

charliewm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Downlighter problem

by charliewm » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks for your reply. However if I go to the expence of re-installing these lights are they just going to blow again or is there some way of preventing this happening?

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:03 am

If you voltage is not steady then any tungsten lamp will blow only option is LED or cold cathode lamps.
Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:23 pm