Page 1 of 1

backlighting for a kitchen wall

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:26 am
by norman57
I would like to install lights behind a polycarbonate wall so that it looks like diffused lighting. I've seen it done in offices and reception areas and think rope lighting is used. Can anyone advise me as to the appropriate lights which don't overheat and can be used in this way.

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:03 pm
by ericmark
Options are discharge or LED lighting. LED tends to be a bit dim which would leave the florescent tube as most likely method. If HF units are used the heaters either end are not used so it will be cooler and the tubes will last a lot longer. When I wanted a florescent above the stairs to be snug to ceiling I mounted the HF control gear in an enclosure in the loft together with emergency batteries you may need to do something similar to keep wall cool.
With the standard four 2 foot tubes in a 2 foot square in suspended ceiling you can still see the banding where the 4 tubes are to stop this a greater distance is required between tubes and diffuser like used in petrol station and supermarket displays. Of course everything behind with be gloss white or silvered.
Of course many methods can be used I have a panel of LED's about 22 inches across called a visual display unit (VDU) connected to my computer and another 32 inches across I call a TV. But if you consider how many LED's are included in these it will show the problem in getting any usable amount of light from LED's.
A visit to one of the large whole sale outlets may help. Or even buy an old display unit?