Page 1 of 1

Test the whole house?

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:57 am
by spider147
Hi, I'm having an extension built and will probably install a separate consumer unit for the new part of the house (just for ease). Will the whole house need to be inspected and tested, or just the new CU and extension?

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:15 am
by Sheffield_sparky
Only circuits that are fed by the new consumer unit will have to be tested, but depending on when the property was last inspected and tested it may be worth having that done at the same time.
Hope that helps

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:57 am
by sparx
Hi if you are using a registered leckie to do the work rather than paying the local authority building control fee to do it your self the leckie will as a minimum have to inspect your existing main and bonding earths to water/gas/oil etc to ensure it complies with current regs.
If you are intending to DIY by paying fee first with other LABC fees then who will do testing? LABC will call a 3rd party in to look at cable runs, holes in joists etc, to ensure correct routing of cables, they will also come back after fittings/con.unit in place, BUT are not required to issue test certs. only a useless tick sheet!
You will need to have certs if you ever want to sell house, (soon to be part of HIPs.) is it worth DIY?
regards SPARX