Extending lighting circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marius_sirbu
Labourer
Labourer

Extending lighting circuit

by marius_sirbu » Wed May 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Hello everybody,

I am trying to extend my lighting circuit by adding the floowing:

1. a light inside the porch, together with a swith
2. a light outside theporch, with no switch as it does have a movement sensor
3. a security light in the garden, with no switch

Most probably, I will end up having this job executed by a professional, as I do not want to mess with the electricity at all.

However, for my own satisfaction and curiosity, I will greatly appreciate if the picture below which represent how I think the job has to be done is correct or not.

Thank you very much and kind regards,
marius

gw139xl
Labourer
Labourer

dont do this

by gw139xl » Fri May 06, 2011 11:09 am

Hi.

DON'T DO THIS WORK. I don't wish to be rude but you clearly don't know how to do this safely.

Firstly you are suggesting not using switches for the two new lights - INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS. All lamps must have a switch to isolate supply for maintenance e.g. changing a bulb!

Secondly you haven't assessed the load on the lighting radial and whether it will take the new lamps. You haven't identified the type of wiring needed (1mm2 minimum, ideally 1.5mm2).

Secondly from your diagram you are proposing to use the old style connection boxes - these are against 17th ed regulations and you have to use maintenance free terminal boxes or ensure all cables are clipped securely and are accessible for inspection and maintenance.

You have no way to perform an insulation test as you don't have the tools and you have no way to ensure that earthing resistances and loop resistances are correct and have no way to test the RCD function- as you are extending to external fittings you would need to ensure the lighting radial is RCD protected.

Please don't do this work.

marius_sirbu
Labourer
Labourer

by marius_sirbu » Fri May 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Hello and thank you very much for your replay.
You are not rude at all, actually I appreciate a lot your answer.

As I said, I am noty going to do the work by myself.
My question was purely teorethical: I was just curious to see if on the schema presented I have managed to get the connections right.

By the way, are they right?

Thank you and kind regards,
Marius

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:31 am