Aerial Booster - Power in Loft
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Heeber
Apprentice
Apprentice

Aerial Booster - Power in Loft

by Heeber » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi folks,
I'm looking to add a powered aerial booster in the loft to supply two TVs.
I'd put a new large aerial in the loft and used a basic splitter, but the signal just isn't strong enough for the cable runs to give clean signal for Freeview.
So, booster it is.
I already have a light in the loft taken off an existing ceiling rose.
I was wondering if I can use this to spur to a socket - thinking the booster is pretty low power draw?
The alternative is of course taking a spur from an upstairs socket, but the wall construction in my house is generously applied dot & dab, so dropping that cable might be pretty invasive.
Appreciate any advice.
Heeb.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Aerial Booster - Power in Loft

by ericmark » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:42 am

It is a hard question to balance what one should do and what you will do. If you use a fused connection unit with a 3A fuse in theroy this should blow if anyone in the future plugged something else into a 13A socket fed from the FCU. However in practice a fuse will take well over the 6A the MCB will allow and plugging in a drill etc. will likely still take out the 6A MCB and plunge one into darkness. So using a 13A socket could produce danger. Using a odd size socket like a 5A would comply but many boosters have a 13A socket built in so may not be an option.

Although clearly taking a supply from the ring is what should be done. I would suggest a risk assessment. If in the future you forgot the socket was on the lights circuit and you tripped the MCB plunging you into darkness what would be the likely result. If that would be leg through ceiling then don't fit a 13A socket.

Clearly it is against all rules to fit a 13A socket off the lights. But to fit a 2A socket with an adaptor so you can plug in the booster rather defeats the whole idea of 2A socket so you need to use some common sense.

I took a supply from disused immersion heater into my loft.

The other simpler option is use a mast head booster these use the coax to send power to the booster and the power supply can be at either TV. Makes life a lot easier and no questions of breaking any regulation.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:37 pm