Is this a 1 or 3 phase mater?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dougray Kiln
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is this a 1 or 3 phase mater?

by Dougray Kiln » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:07 pm

Hi, I'm buying a home and want to move the meter and would like to know if this is a single or three phase and be able to have a smart meter fitted when moved.
Thanks for any help.
20210607_121322.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Is this a 1 or 3 phase mater?

by Mr White » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:15 pm

The picture is not very clear, but from what I can see it is probable that the supply meter is single phase, why not ask the DNO what is fitted at the address.

Dougray Kiln
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Dougray Kiln » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:07 pm

Mr White wrote:The picture is not very clear, but from what I can see it is probable that the supply meter is single phase, why not ask the DNO what is fitted at the address.

.Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:28 pm

As said looks to be single phase, the Wylex fuse box is around 1980 or earlier, the wooden base is not liked, and it has no RCD protection, the Hagar unit I will guess is for a shower, the main switch on the Wylex is only rated at 60 amp, which is OK, but could be a problem with any EV charging, so I would say get the fuse box changed for a consumer unit first, and isolator fitted, so any seals broken are auto replaced when the smart meter fitted, and the fuse can also be uprated to 100 amp at the same time. Once smart meter fitted if fuse drawn the supplier will know, and you can not blame it on last owners, so get the fuse box changed first.

I really see no advantage to the home owner having a smart meter fitted, it may help the supplier, but not home owner.

Dougray Kiln
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Dougray Kiln » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:59 pm

ericmark wrote:As said looks to be single phase, the Wylex fuse box is around 1980 or earlier, the wooden base is not liked, and it has no RCD protection, the Hagar unit I will guess is for a shower, the main switch on the Wylex is only rated at 60 amp, which is OK, but could be a problem with any EV charging, so I would say get the fuse box changed for a consumer unit first, and isolator fitted, so any seals broken are auto replaced when the smart meter fitted, and the fuse can also be uprated to 100 amp at the same time. Once smart meter fitted if fuse drawn the supplier will know, and you can not blame it on last owners, so get the fuse box changed first.

I really see no advantage to the home owner having a smart meter fitted, it may help the supplier, but not home owner.

Thanks for the clarification.
As I said, I want the meter moved to another wall and so will have to get the power moved and then meter fitted and so would then have a new consumer fitted in the new position on the same day.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:34 am

To have the supply moved can get very expensive, I would thing twice about that idea.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 6:18 pm