One switch, two lights from a single ceiling rose?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AzK
Apprentice
Apprentice

One switch, two lights from a single ceiling rose?

by AzK » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:41 pm

I have an existing ceiling rose in my kitchen with a standard light pendant. I have attached an image that has the same setup (first image): Switch cable, bathroom light cable, backroom light cable and the cable in from the circuit/rose in the next room.

I wanted to add a couple of spotlights in the back of the kitchen. Can I add a new cable in for these spotlights and wire them in the same connectors/places the light is wired into? I've mocked up the original image to add this spotlight cable in.

If this is wired in, when the main light is switched on, will this turn on the spotlight(s) too.

Secondly would this too much load for this ceiling rose, or is this fine?

I hope it makes sense, and apologies for any incorrect terminology.
Attachments
light.jpg
orig light.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: One switch, two lights from a single ceiling rose?

by Mr White » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:18 pm

Four things:
1)Yes, you can almost do as you suggest.
4) Turn the mains off first, even with the light off, the ceiling rose is still LIVE.
3) You must connect the earth (Your drawing shows only live and neutral)
4) You will never get the ceiling rose cover done up (Don't even try) loosen the ceiling rose fixings, so you have enough room to insert the cable UNDER the ceiling rose. (It will be tight, but it is do able.)

AzK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: One switch, two lights from a single ceiling rose?

by AzK » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:39 pm

Thank you

I knew about the earth (I already have the twin and earth cabling purchased) but I forgot to draw it on.

Thanks for your helpful steps and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:23 pm