Suddenly an issue with a plug: LE Reverse error
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
northw
Labourer
Labourer

Suddenly an issue with a plug: LE Reverse error

by northw » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:29 pm

Our fridge has been connected to this socket for many years. All of a sudden, our fridge stopped working. I checked with a voltage detector pen and it blinked red, so initially I thought the fridge was gone. But later connected the fridge to another socket, also in the kitchen, it worked just fine.

So then I checked the "faulty" plug with a socket tester, and green light gives "LE REVERSE" error.

I'm really puzzled why all of a sudden live - earth is wrong way around. What could cause this?

And as a second point, how to fix this? Could it be a simply replacing the plug?

Thank you

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Suddenly an issue with a plug: LE Reverse error

by Mr White » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:09 pm

Since the fridge works in a different socket, but your "Plug in socket tester" says it is L E reversed, I would suspect your socket tester is in error.
I suggest you turn the mains off and gently remove the affected socket, I will guess you have a loose neutral wire.

northw
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Suddenly an issue with a plug: LE Reverse error

by northw » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:27 pm

@Mr White, I think you are spot on. After your reply, I tested again and in fact, I misread the tester. It does say missing N - my bad.

I purchased a new 1-gang socket and will replace it tomorrow, and I will pay attention to N wire.

Once again many thanks for this insight, which made me realize the error I made.

Thanks!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:16 pm