Page 1 of 1

Buildings Insurance during renovations

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:09 pm
by Tam_H
Hi there

I have just bought an old farmhouse which needs some fairly major renovation work doing before we can move in (e.g. removal of 2-3 walls, probably load-bearing, damp-proofing, reversal of stairs and associated works, plumbing, electrics etc.). My IFA has been trying to find us buildings insurance but is having real problems finding anyone who will insure us because it is unoccupied overnight (we won't be living there until much of the work is complete).

Does anyone know of any specialist insurance compaies who might be able to help? Ideally we want to pay monthly so that when we're finally there we can change to a 'normal' buildings insurance and not have paid for a whole year (expecting the work to take up to 6 months). I can't belive that no-one will insure the property! Surely plenty of other people renovate houses without living there, so what do they do for insurance :roll: .

Any help gratefully received as this is rather urgent now!


Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:25 am
by DrWho
There's lots of really helpful sites on home insurance that might be able to help you! This one is really good from Renovation Zone (Google ""). Also have a look at the site and also the sites as there is rather a lot of information available here. Finally, this site is good for general info on home insurance - Google "" and visit their insurance sections.