Replacing a bathroom ceiling
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Shaun1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing a bathroom ceiling

by Shaun1968 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:58 am

Hi,

I'm thinking about re doing the lighting in my bathroom, which is currently downlights. I think the esiest option would be to take the exsisting ceiling down then replace it with all the new holes for the new lighting layout already done, instead of patching the exsisting holes and drilling new ones.

Firstly, is there anything I can do to reduce black mould on the new ceiling? (Treatments, type of plaster board etc)

Secondly, how much would a professional charge? Its a small bathroom, imagine 4 standard sized baths side by side, and thats roughly how big it is.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi Shaun1968,
You can buy fungicides from most DIY shops, that prevent fungus spores.
But this is how i'd go about your ceiling, no need to drop ceiling unless you either really want too or really need too. (messy job)
I'd suggest you over boarded (put the new plasterboards over old ceiling) Use moisture boards if you have a condensation problem. I'd as be thinking installing a vent in to wall, As a preventative measure.
Even though you will have a double boarded ceil will still be able to fit downlights up.
Ceiling meterials should cost no more than £50 plaster £13-£20 per hour.
I'd charge £250
I should mention that when intalling any new circuits in bathrooms two or three or four measures should be taken, the light fitting should be rated correctly for the use in it's zone. New circuits should be installed by part p quallified electrician or reported to building controls if you are DIYing it. Also new 17th edition says should be protected by 30ma RCD and may need Supplementary bonding depending on the earth loop impedance.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2024 4:35 pm